WASTECOSMART’s overall objective is to strengthen and increase the innovation capacity of regional research-driven clusters in resource efficiency through cooperation, research and technological development within the waste sector.
For the project, six research-driven triple helix clusters (science, industry and public sector) have been formed in Paphos (CY), Central Hungary, Piedmont (IT), Amsterdam (NL), Stockholm (SE) and Liverpool City Region (UK). WASTECOSMART also collaborates with international partners from Brazil, Mexico and India to promote international collaboration and opportunities in waste management.
The WASTECOSMART partners joined forces to:
- Foster and promote transnational cooperation of research-driven waste management clusters;
- Develop a Decision Support Framework supporting the formulation of waste management strategies;
- Assess regional research and innovation needs in the waste management sector;
- Elaborate a Joint Action Plan (JAP) and regional research agendas according to needs of each individual regional cluster;
- Set measures towards the implementation of the JAP in each region;
- Support less developed regions in waste management and unlock business opportunities in international markets.